Hey guys!!  I feel like it's been ages since I last blogged.  I guess it hasn't really been that long, but it sure feels like it.  College has already gotten in the way - how could it do such a thing?!  Well luckily, it's off to a pretty decent start.

First off, important things: my room.  Thought you were going to say food, didn't you? ;-) Well food IS most important, but a good room comes pretty close.  Who wants a room that is small, dirty, and you hardly feel comfortable even walking into?  Not me, but when I walked onto campus to move in, that is exactly what I was faced with.  I'm not normally a complainer - I just try to suck it up and deal with it.  BUT I was not staying in that room, plain and simple.  After several rounds, they finally moved me to a new room in a different dorm that pretty much just rocks my socks off.  Pool?  Check.  Cafeteria (that serves mostly awesome Asian food)?  Check.  Spacious kitchen [for community use]?  Check.  Private bathroom?  Check.  Spacious, CLEAN room?  Check, check.  Needless to say, I'm more that pleased with my current living arrangements.

Second, classes.  Wait, not food?  I promise, it's coming!  I'm just saving the best for last. ;-)  First quarter isn't too bad - just organic chemistry, costume history, art history, and core body.  Second semester though, I just might die because I'll also have calc 3.  Ew.  So far though, my classes seem all right!  I like all of my teachers, though O-chem is, well, O-chem so we'll see how that goes, and I'm not big on history classes (though I love history itself) but the topics are at least interesting to me so that should help!

Oh and really quickly on the running front - the big day is only 4 weeks from tomorrow!!!!  There is a great park to run in near my school so it's been fun to explore that and all the beautiful scenery.

And at last, the FOOD!!!  Not all of these are cafeteria meals but a compilation of food I've had since I got here.
Vegetable enchiladas with steamed vegetables (at a Mexican restaurant with my parents).
Fresh picked blackberries.
Had to throw this in there because I am FINALLY near one again!!!
Tofu and broccoli stir-fry from my dorm cafeteria.
Caramel macadamia nut froyo from the Tillamook cheese factory.
Cheese sampling at Tillamook, aka heaven on earth.
Vegetable omelet and fresh pineapple.
Fish, kale, squash, fresh tomatoes, cucumber salad, watermelon.
Salad with goat cheese bruschetta (from a restaurant with my parents).
Creamy carrot ginger soup to accompany the salad.
Whole grain bagel with peanut butter+watermelon.
Oatmeal that I cooked in the dorm kitchen (sooo excited about that!!) with blackberry fruit spread, flax peanut butter, pretzels, and sea salt.
Mushrooms, kale, broccoli (that is honey mustard on them - yes, I did bring a [ahem, three] bottles with me... essentials, people), roasted carrots, and quinoa cakes.
I want to do a recap of the road trip here at some point so be on the lookout for that!  I'm not sure when I'll have it up, but hopefully it won't be too long!

I hope all of you guys are doing well!!!  I miss you all. <3

Comments

08/30/2013 22:08

Glad you got your room changed! All your dorm food looks amazing -- my cafeteria never had food like that! :P

09/02/2013 23:21

I've overall been pretty pleased with the food this year! I didn't think it was too bad last year, but I think it's even better this year!

08/30/2013 23:53

Don't you just love discovering a new place to go running in? :)
You'll do great when it comes to race time!

Now, the food. I am completely jealous. I consider myself to be a good prepper and planner - but my meals never have the pazaz you've demonstrated above! Kudos girl! :)

09/02/2013 23:24

Yes, discovering a new running place is the BEST!!! Makes the time go by even quicker!

And thanks! :)

08/31/2013 00:27

OMG all that food looks incredible...especially that fro yo flavor!! Glad that you managed to move to a room with a better living environment- sounds great :)

09/02/2013 23:26

The froyo was EPIC!! I mean, you just can't go wrong with caramel macadamia nut ;-)

08/31/2013 01:38

For someone living in a dorm, damn you have mad skills in the kitchen! The one I had when I was at college was a microwave, a broken stove and no cutlery :P

Glad things sound like they are settling well- I can't believe the big run is a mere 4 weeks away- getting pumped for you!

The cafeteria meals... they look Amazing! The college I was at, well, their cafeteria meals were as amazing as their kitchen! Hope you have a fun packed weeekend buddy!

09/02/2013 23:30

How did you survive with that as your kitchen??! Lol last year my kitchen was a microwave, and it was awful. "Cooking" was microwaving a sweet potato or a frozen meal! Sounds like a frozen meal might just have been a step up from your eating arrangements though. :P

So happy to hear everything is going great! Just a heads up that all chem profs are a little "different" so the sooner you accept it the easier it will be :)

I have to tell you I FINALLY tried your oatmeal and pretzels and I'm in heaven, loved it!

09/02/2013 23:32

Oh thanks for the heads up! Yeah I'm kind of starting to see that already... I guess that's part of the experience? ;-)

YAY!!! So glad you tried (and liked!) the oatmeal and pretzels! Be prepared to get addicted :P

08/31/2013 10:31

You seriously saved the best for last!!! I want to eat EVERYTHING! Also your new dorm sounds swanky! At McGill my dorm (we only live there in freshman year) was a prison. No actually, it was designed by the same company that designs Canadian prisons...that was fun...NOT.

09/02/2013 23:34

Oh my goodness that sounds awful!! Most dorms feel like prisons anyway so I can't even imagine was yours was like... bet it made getting out of there feel that much better though ;-)

08/31/2013 11:20

So jealous that your dining common has great asian food! Mine definitely lacked that my freshman year haha. Good thing we have amazing college food right by our apartments or I would go crazy!

O-chem…. bane of my existence hahaha! Good luck with it girlie! I'll be suffering through it as well this year. I don't start for another 3 weeks or so since I'm on the quarter system.

Love all of your eats!

09/12/2013 09:43

Thanks Christine! At least we can suffer through o-chem together haha! ;-) And glad you have some good college food right now. It makes such a difference!

Charolette
08/31/2013 14:22

Hi, That broccoli-tofu stir-fry looked good enough to eat! You know that I do enjoy fried tofu also broccoli. I am glad that you got to go to the cheese factory. No visit to Oregon would be complete without it (I have only been there once though). You make good choices in food. Keep up the good work.

09/12/2013 09:45

You're right - every Oregon visit HAS to include Tillamook!! :D Stir fried tofu and broccoli is soooo good, and I can have it daily now if I want!

08/31/2013 19:20

Oh girl I feel you! School and life can get in the way of blogging sometimes. When it's just a hobby it's especially hard to keep up with everything! You are doing a marvelous job though! Just remember that college comes first, and I'll read your blog whenever you're able to update :) Okay, now on to the food! Your dinning common looks amazing! I need to go to your college! I'm not in college yet, but all my friends that are complain about O-chem all the time. I hear it's crazy hard! BUT, I KNOW you can do it! I'm cheering for you! :)

08/31/2013 21:17

yay for getting a new awesome room!! College is sounding great :) I'm LOVING the food!

09/01/2013 09:30

Great to hear you ettled in well so far and were able to change dorms. It's key to feel comfortable in your own little space so staying in a nasty dorm would have just not been okay. Though I never lived in a dorm a private bathroom sounds like heaven. I've seen those public ones ...
While I'm not sure what exactly O-Chem entails - not something we [seem to] have over here - I hope it won't bug you too much.
Enjoy your long weekend!

09/01/2013 21:36

I can't wait for the Trader Joes to be open! They are building one right next to my house :D

09/02/2013 14:07

You certainly have been eating well my friend :)!
You go to Willamette? That's so funny because I had a teacher from high school who went there, and she would always be like, "Go Bearcats!", and everyone would be like, "What's a bearcat?" Haha.

09/09/2013 09:30

Hehe, yep I go to Willamette! That's too funny about the Bearcats! Though to be honest, I'm still a little unclear as to what a bearcat is myself... They tried to make a stuffed animal bearcat and sell it in the bookstore, and it was quite strange looking haha.

09/02/2013 14:31

I never lived in the dorm but it does sound like fun! I'm also taking OChem and already have a test on Tuesday. Can you believe it?

How did you live without a Trader Joe's in your immediate area? That's where I get most of my food excluding fruits and produce.

09/03/2013 02:44

I'm glad you're back! I enjoyed reading your posts especially the Uni! It makes me want to go back to Uni someday soon! I'm glad that the cafeteria serves awesome "Asian food", hehe! Private bathroom?! Girl, that sounds like you've everything you need! :) I never had a private bathroom when I was staying in a dorm even if I had my own room! OMG, I'm glad you lived near Trader Joe's, because that's even better than anything else, and of course great for vegans on a budget! Your favorite oatmeal looks so delicious...and of course, I need to try pretzels in my oatmeal one day!

09/03/2013 09:57

Costume history sounds really interesting!

Love all of the foodie pictures. So cool that you are near a dining hall that serves a ton of asian-inspired food. One of my favorites.

Glad that you got a new room. Your old one sounds awful. I personally do all of my studying in my room and I couldn't imagine how stressed out you would be trying to work in that space before.

09/03/2013 14:14

how did you get to request to move dorm rooms? that seems pretty cool that you were able to do that and get a private bathroom as well. that's a cool upgrade, ha.

hope you have a great school year! the food you posted all looks so great, delicious, and healthy. sounds like a good start to your school year

09/09/2013 09:42

I just went to reslife and said I couldn't stay in that room, and they finally said they could move me! You're right that the upgrade was pretty cool... not what I was expecting, but I'll take it haha ;-)

09/03/2013 15:23

Glad to hear you made it into a room that is more your style! Dorm living can stink but it sounds like you are making the best of it! Happy to hear your by a TJ's because I'm slowly becoming addicted...

What on earth are you studying with that assortment of classes? Not that they don't sound interesting (well minus O-chem...) they just don't really sound like they go together :)

09/09/2013 09:58

Haha yeah they don't really go together! I'm doing a chem/art double major. The two history classes count towards my art major as well as fulfill gen-ed requirements. :) And the core body class is just for fun!

I was wondering where you've been! College is way more important than blogging so we all understand you needing to put that first.

Your food has been surprisingly attractive for being away at school. That soup is gorgeous!

Glad to hear you are all settled and we'll see you soon!

09/04/2013 12:21

I cannot fully enjoy my meals if my house is a mess...sounds so weird, but I MUST have a clean area HA! I am glad you were able to move to a different room! I do not envy your Ochem class..UGH I hated that..I had to take it twice because I wasn't happy with my grade the first time. HA! BOOOO.

09/07/2013 13:07

sometimes things get in the way of blogging; these days work is over-taking everything and it's driving me nuts because every time i sit down to blog, something work-related comes up grrrrr!

and you're so lucky you are near a trader joes -- we don't even have ONE in canada! sadface

07/31/2015 02:27

Fantastic job! As always, and I even have my expectations exceeded.

06/02/2017 14:31

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.