Well, we've got a lot to get through today so lets get rollin', shall we?  And I think we'll work backwards from what the title suggests because forward is overrated.

So first up:  Dorm Necessities.  What's it all about?  It's going to be a new (or, um, only? so far anyway...) series here on Veggin' Out showcasing some items that I constantly keep in my dorm room and that I pretty much can't live without.  Now, I don't go back to school for another eight days, but of course, I need to start getting ready!  And what better place to start than with the upmost important necessity?  Yep, I'm talking food.  More importantly, chocolate.  Last year, anyone who visited my dorm room quickly found out that I had quite the food stash and that an entire box of that was dedicated to chocolate.  I started early this year when I picked up this lot:
Sea salt and dark chocolate because sweet+salty is the best combo ever, plain dark because sometime some simplicity is needed, chipotle chili dark for that extra kick during those hard study sessions, and strawberry and champagne so I don't feel bad about being in the group of college kids that chooses not to drink.  (Really, who wants to drink when you can have chocolate? Exactly.)

Another good portion of my food stash was dedicated to nut butter, and I'm sure this year will be no different.  I haven't made quite as much progress as I have with the chocolate, but I did pick up this.  I mean, cookie nookie?!  That was just too hard to pass up.
I think this jar will be lucky to ever see my dorm room....

I'll be sure to share other dorm room necessities as they come!

Now, onto the running update.  I did my longest run of 7.5 miles (!!!!) this past Sunday!  And, thanks to some recently purchased knee bands, my knees were much happier.  Just to think, only 5.6 miles more and I could have completed a half marathon. ;-)  Speaking of which, I will be running my half in these:
Does anyone else find buying running shoes better that buying fasion shoes?  Come on, I know the other runners out there would agree with me.  No?  Well, okay then.  I don't mind being the odd ball. ;-)
After trying on several different brands (including some that the guy who helped me called "the watermelons" - and for a good reason because they really did look like watermelons which made want to buy them solely because of that), I went with Brooks.  And I love them!  They feel quite a bit lighter than my Nikes (which I did also love) and a little firmer but in a good way if that makes any sense.  Anyway, I've been loving running in them!  Running is always so much more fun with new gear. :)

Yes, now what you've really been waiting for.  I teased you with some pictures in my last post, and it's time to redeem my meanness with the recipe!  Remember how I said they were protein-packed?  Well, I wasn't kidding.  These babies pack in roughly 40g of protein.  Not bad for pancakes, eh?  Actually, not bad for any type of breakfast.  And they say vegetarians have a hard time getting their protein.... Psh, obviously they never met these pancakes!
Salted Chocolate Peanut Pretzel Pancakes
Pancake recipe based on Christina's All-Natural Protein Pancakes
Serves 1

For the pancakes:
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup peanut flour
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1 egg
5 drops stevia (or other sweetener)
A handful of chocolate chips

For the rest:
About 2 tbsp chocolate syrup (I used Walden Farms)
About 8 pretzels, broken into pieces (I used Newman's Owns spelt pretzels)
Several pinches large grain sea salt ( I used pink Hawaiian sea salt)

1.  Blend the oats, flour, cottage cheese, egg, and stevia in a blender.
2.  Pour the batter onto a heated skillet to make four pancakes (or more or less - it really doesn't matter!) and then sprinkle the chocolate chips onto the pancakes.  Cook for a few minutes, flip, and cook another minute or so.  I think you all know how to cook pancakes!
3.  Stack the pancakes on a plate, drizzle with the chocolate syrup, top with the pretzels, and sprinkle with the salt.
4.  Dig in to the best plate of pancakes you've ever had!
The sea salt really takes it over the top - I recommend you make sure you have at least a few granules in every bite.  I can't even begin to explain how delicious it is.  I know the recipe is really just a simple spin off of Christina's version (which is delicious on it's own), but trust me, they're worth making.

Well, I guess it wasn't all that long, but we covered all the important things in life - chocolate, peanut butter, pancakes, running - what more could you want?

Have a great day and a fabulous weekend, everyone!

Comments

08/16/2013 10:44

What?! I didn't think that the pretzel combo couldn't get any better after that oatmeal, but these pancakes definitely top them all! I like the fact that the pretzels are just the topping and not in the pancakes themselves because I definitely appreciate the *crunch* ;)

I go back to school soon too and need to pick up a few dorm essentials. AKA shower curtain << super excited about that one because I want something really colorful.

I think I love buying tennis shoes and flip flops most of all. I'm not much of a shoe shopper really. Actually I hate buying shoes. I have to be forced. Jeans? Well, jeans on the other hand I can never have too many of :)

08/19/2013 15:39

Colorful shower curtains sound so fun! Anything colorful makes me happy. :)

Jeans are pretty great! I recently saw that I only had 2 or 3 pairs so obviously I had to remedy that. ;)

08/16/2013 10:56

OMG. THOSE PANCAKES!!! They look mouthwateringly good!!

And I always kept chocolate in my dorm room too!

08/19/2013 15:39

Chocolate is THE dorm necessity for sure! ;-)

08/16/2013 11:55

those chocolate bars wouldn't have survived a week in my apartment in college.

Congrats on getting to 7.5. I can't wait to return there myself :) Slowly but surely!

I love Brooks. They've gotten me through several training cycles and 1/2s and always feel great on my feet. And yes, buying running shoes is much more fun than buying the torture devices that are fashion shoes.

08/19/2013 15:41

Yeah fashion shoes can be soooo uncomfortable! I'm definitely guilty of ditching them for my running shoes on many occasions. ;-)

08/16/2013 11:58

That dark chocolate has my name written all over it! Which Brooks did you get? I was at a running store the other day and all the different models were so intimidating.

08/19/2013 11:09

I got Brooks Defyance 6. I've also heard great things about Asics gel enduro so those might be worth checking out as well! Hope you find something that works! :)

08/16/2013 12:26

GREAT JOB on the run! Running shoes are so much better than fashion shoes.These pancakes look so awesome! :D

08/19/2013 15:41

Thanks, Leigha! And I'm glad you agree with me. ;-)

This post is full of salty sweet goodness! I can't get over those pancakes! They look amazing and your photography rocks. :)
Great job on 7.5 miles! I've never ran that far so I'm impressed. I also keep hearing great things about Brooks- I really want to check them out. I have Nikes but I'm not crazy about them.

08/19/2013 15:43

Awe thanks Sarah! I used my iPhone for them, but good lighting can definitely make a difference. :)
I liked the Nikes I had before, but I find the Brooks to be quite a bit lighter and more breathable. Definitely check them out!

08/16/2013 13:59

Thanks for sharing your dorm necessities! I haven't been in a dorm for years, since 2007, probably, haha, you're making me feel old now. I'm in my mid 20s. I love sweet & salty chocolates, I have to have something salty on something sweet. I've very sensitive tastebuds, I can't go all too sweet or too salty. Oh my word, I love cookie butter, I tried some cookie butter from Trader Joe's, and it was so good. I had it with loads of seeded bread, So Delicious vegan ice cream, and so much more. I hope you like the cookie butter you got! Congrats on the long run- 7.5 miles- I am impressed, you go, girl! I don't have a favorite running shoes, but I find Stella McCartney dance shoes so comfy and lightweight. I love to dance ;) And your last section of the post is making me hungry, I love salty and sweet pancakes! Pretzels on pancakes, si, por favor!

08/19/2013 15:46

Well if it makes you feel any better, I don't think mid 20s is old at all! :)
Sweet and salty is definitely a great combo! And I haven't tried TJ's cookie butter, but I'm going to buy a jar the second I go there in about a week!
I think it's great you love to dance - I love to dance too but am not all that good at it. Ah well, it's still so much fun! :)

08/16/2013 15:44

Oh my, those pancakes look incredible!! :D

08/19/2013 15:46

Thanks, Courtney! :) They were delicious!

08/16/2013 20:33

Okay, long story short, but I made your PB Pretzel Oatmeal and it blew my mind! I took it a few times to cross country this week and ended up sharing with my teammates! I didn't think life could get much better, but making pancakes has to be one of the best decisions ever! And dorm moving in! Ah it's so exciting! My brother moves in this week and he's trying to get every last thing he needs (including lots of pb! :) )

08/19/2013 15:48

Ahhhhh YAY so glad you tried (and liked!) it!!! I hope your teammates like it too! Thank you so much for giving it a go. :)
Good luck to your brother! PB is definitely necessary. :)

08/16/2013 20:36

You had me at salt. So, I was planning on making your baked oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow morning but I'm scrapping that for the pancake recipe- seeing as I need to focus on the cooking process the entire time ;)

Nice job on the running! I find it hit and miss with running shoes, but thats because I'm flat footed and need orthotics! Brooks is really popular over here! Can't wait to read the rest of your dorm necessities- you've highlighted the most important so far ;)

08/19/2013 15:54

Haha yeah it sounds like the pancakes might be more your thing. ;-) I saw that you liked them, and I'm SO GLAD!!! Thank you so much for making them! :)

And yes chocolate IS the most important - glad your agree. ;-)

08/17/2013 01:20

Say what?! I want to make these asap :) Nothing better than PB and chocolate. And pretzels. And pancakes!

08/19/2013 15:55

Haha agreed! All the best food combined into one. :)

YESSS! Thank you for posting this recipe, I may have to totally make this for my mama!

08/19/2013 15:55

I hope she likes them if you make them for her! :)

08/17/2013 14:43

It's funny that you mention that PB Crave jar and if it will make it to your dorm room! My sis took our Nutella jar but forgot to take our giant tub of peanut butter :P! Thankfully, we're almost through with it so hopefully I can replace it with some PB Crave ;)!

Thanks for posting the pancake recipe!

08/19/2013 15:57

Haha peanut butter/nut butter is such an important addition to any dorm room. ;-) But how did she forget the giant tub of pb?! :P

08/17/2013 16:16

Pretzels and PB are such a great combination. I made peanut butter pretzel covered brownies once and they were the bomb! Sadly peanut flour is hard to get over here in Germany, but the recipe sounds delish.

08/19/2013 15:58

Ohhhh those brownies!! I need those!
And you could always top regular pancakes with pb+chocolate syrup+pretzels+salt for a similar sweet and salty treat. :)

08/17/2013 16:21

I need to find PB cookie crave in Canada! I too am a sweet + salty girl...I add salt to everything! I say it's cause my blood pressure is super low (which is is) but really it's cause I love how it brings out the sweetness :)

Hope you're having an awesome weekend Alex!

08/19/2013 15:59

Haha love your excuse. ;-)
And thank you, I hope you had an awesome weekend too!! :)

08/18/2013 00:16

WHAAAATTT PANCAKE heaven!! Those look SOOOO GOOD!!!! I am soo glad you got some new shoes and that they are feeling good with your knees!! YES buying new running shoes (and clothes) is my FAVORITE THING EVER!! I will easily shell out $150 for running shoes without even cringing, I would NEVER do that for any other shoes.

08/19/2013 16:01

Hahaha yeah that's exactly how I feel about anything running related... $100 on regular clothes?! No way! $100 on running clothes? Is that all? ;-)

You and your chocolate, peanut butter pretzel combination!! Those pancakes look divine! And yes I bookmarked it.
As for dorm essentials from my freshman year - peanut butter, cereal, energy bars and DOVE chocolates :)

08/19/2013 16:02

Ah yes, last year I was sure to always have a box of cereal around. It's an essential no matter where I am. ;-)

01/07/2015 11:24

This really is an remarkable task which i admire a whole lot. Emergency solutions are offered within a wide range, this really is what really makes me so content and grateful. I have to appreciate the tough function behind. Thanks for the share.

10/23/2015 10:18

Salted chocolate peanut pretzel pancake is very healthy kind of food. Children like such type of cakes. These all cake makes in the oven or pressure cooker we can coke cake in to the pressure cooker for speed process so that when people eat it that taste are so yummy.

07/02/2016 03:24

Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.

07/29/2016 03:33

08/01/2016 03:00

his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.

08/02/2016 03:10

09/01/2016 00:38

I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts.