Hello, friends!  I hope everyone is having a wonderful week so far and is ready to get the WIAW party started!
With my current work schedule, it's been hard to obtain a picture of all my eats in a single day, so I'm changing things up a bit and giving you a recipe instead!  But not just any recipe, a recipe for a delicious, decadent, yet still nutritious breakfast.  Oh and it involves chocolate.  That's where the  delicious is.  Anyone who thinks chocolate shouldn't be eaten for breakfast doesn't know how to live.  Chocolate is appropriate for any time of the day. :P
Combine the dry ingredients.
Stir in the wet ingredients.
Pour into a ramekin and bake!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Baked Oatmeal
Adapted from my Peanut Butter Protein Baked Oatmeal
Serves 1

1/2 cup oats
2 tbsp peanut flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
About 8 pretzels (I used Newman's Own spelt pretzels), broken into pieces
Small handful chocolate chips (plus more for snacking :P)
A couple pinches of sea salt
1 egg
1 tbsp peanut butter\
2 tbsp chocolate syrup (I used Walden Farms brand)
3 tbsp almond milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Stir together the oats, peanut flour, baking powder, pretzels, chocolate chips, and salt.
Stir in the remaining ingredients
Pour into a greased ramekin, and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.

NOTE:  The pretzels do not keep their crunch which I didn't mind, but if you want them to stay crunchy, consider sprinkling them on top (perhaps also putting the oatmeal in a shallower dish, and possibly reducing baking time, so that there is more surface room for the pretzels).  I have not tried this, but it seems like it would work!
Do you eat chocolate for breakfast?

Oh and running update: I did 7.19 miles on Sunday!   I love my long runs, though around mile five, my knees started hurting so I purposely slowed down a bit because I definitely want to avoid injury at all costs!  I made sure to take ibuprofen and ice them when I was done and that helped, but I did my four mile run on the track yesterday for a bit of a softer surface and less strain.  If anyone has any tips for people like me who struggle with their knees, please let me know!

Have a great rest of the week everyone!!

Comments

08/07/2013 09:13

Chocolate for breakfast is always a good idea! I especially love the addition of pretzels- nothing beats the sweet & salty combo! Well done on your long run too- is that a PDR?

08/09/2013 09:30

Yep, that is the farthest I've ever run! :)
And I agree that sweet and salty is always a win!

08/07/2013 10:13

I'm not one of those people that needs a chocolate fix every day, but suddenly I feel like I need one today. It's not weird to have oatmeal for lunch, rightt? Your long run on Sunday sounds amazing! Lately I've been doing cross country so we've been doing around 4-5 miles a day, so long runs haven't really been happening lately! I'm jealous!

08/09/2013 09:32

Oatmeal for lunch is totally normal, at least in my house it is. ;-)
I'm sorry you don't get to go for long runs right now, but cross country sounds awesome anyway. Hope you're enjoying it!

08/07/2013 10:49

That sounds soo good! I've made a bunch of baked oatmeal recipes in the past, but only with fruit. I think I'll have to try your route, though. All my favorites in one ramekin!

Sorry to hear about knee pain on your run - you did the right thing, though! I've had knee problems in the past and I actually found that wearing special runners' knee elastic bands or taping them with KT tape seemed to do the trick!

08/09/2013 09:33

Thanks so much for the tips about the knee bands. I bought some yesterday and will be trying them out soon!

Oh, that oatmeal looks delicious! I am really looking forward to trying one of your baked oatmeals and I can't decide which one to make!! Too many yummy choices. I love chocolate for breakfast. Why not, right?

08/09/2013 09:34

Haha exactly! Gotta get chocolate in there somehow. ;-)

08/07/2013 11:51

OH MY GOSH this sounds amazing! Anything with chocolate and peanut butter is good though. Great job on the run! My knees have been hurting lately too :(

08/09/2013 09:41

Oh no! Hopefully we can both find something to help our knees! :)

08/07/2013 13:00

Hey, I might be late but I'm digging the new layout!

08/09/2013 09:41

Haha thanks, Tara! Glad you approve. :)

08/07/2013 13:07

Starting the day off with chocolate is the way to go! I love this recipe! I'll have to see if I can find a way to make it allergy friendly. :-) Thanks for sharing!

08/09/2013 09:42

Of course! Let me know if you succeed in making it allergy friendly!

08/07/2013 13:30

You sure know how to make delicious oatmeal bakes. You're definitely on a roll with fantastic flavor ideas. Great close up shots. I bet the sea salt took these right over the top.

Great job with pushing through and getting over 7 miles in!

08/09/2013 11:18

Thanks, Madison! Me knees wanted to stop sooner and perhaps I should have listed to them, but my mind really wanted to keep going!

This sounds awesome!! I am SO adding pretzels to my overnight oats next time. I love the sweet and salty combo :).

08/09/2013 11:19

Me too! And great idea to add them to overnight oats. I've never tried sweet + salty overnight oats, but now I need too! :)

08/07/2013 18:05

Chocolate is totally appropriate for any meal of the day! And I love how filling this looks! And how it includes chocolate, peanut butter, and pretzels! SOMEONE FEED ME THIS!!

08/09/2013 11:20

Just come on over, Christine, I would be more than happy to make some for you. ;-)

08/07/2013 21:06

No joke, I am making this for tomorrows breakfast, I have some pretzels leftover... seriously. I just had chocolate for breakfast, well...it was cottage cheese mixed with cocoa powder and cereal but it was a component!

Great job on the run, unfortunately I'm not a runner so I don't have advice but hope it gets sorted!

08/09/2013 11:22

I hope you try it and like it, Arman! Be sure to let me know what you think. And yay for chocolate for breakfast! Great minds think alike. ;-)

08/07/2013 21:08

That's an interesting oatmeal besides the egg! I've never thought about putting pretzels in oatmeals, but that sounds like an awesome treat!

08/09/2013 11:23

It was my first time trying pretzels in oatmeal, but I would definitely say I'm a fan! I think it's going to become a regular oatmeal topping as well. :)

08/09/2013 16:27

Thanks for the inspiration! I will definitely put pretzels in my oatmeals from now on! Hehe love salty toppings!

08/08/2013 09:54

That recipe is brilliant! Now to find gluten-free pretzels...

08/09/2013 11:24

I know I've seen gluten-free pretzels somewhere, but I don't remember where. I hope you're able to find some!

I firmly believe that chocolate is appropriate at any time of the day ;-) And I love the addition of pretzels! Chocolate covered pretzels are one of my favourite things in life.

08/09/2013 11:26

YES chocolate covered pretzels are the bomb! The perfect combination of sweet+salty. :)

You better believe I will be making this ASAP!!!
Looks crazy good. Love that you baked it - not to mention pb + chocolate and pretzels go together perfectly.

08/09/2013 11:27

Let me know if you try it! And yes, pb+chocolate+pretzels is one of the best combos ever. :)

08/08/2013 11:36

AWESOME JOB ON THAT RUN!!! Make sure your shoes are good, and that they aren't old. Running shoes need to be retired after 500-600 miles and if you're running in shoes you've had for years..well..that's no good! HA! Also great idea to run on softer surfaces when you can.

This oatmeal looks SO good and I now know what I am having for breakfast!

08/09/2013 11:31

Thanks, Brittany! I do think it's about time for some new running shoes. Definitely need to get some before I head off for school!

Please let me know if you try the oatmeal!

looks delicious! chocolate for breakfast is probably one of my favorite things!! actually, chocolate ANYTIME is one of my favorite things :)

08/09/2013 11:31

Haha, agreed! Chocolate is perfect no matter the time of day. :)

08/08/2013 20:34

"Plus more for snacking" <- the best measurement in this already awesome recipe :). I've never had the pretzel + chocolate combination before but you make me think I should do.
Sorry to hear about your knee. I'm rather injury-prone, too, and prefer running on softer surfaces, too.

08/09/2013 11:33

You definitely should try pretzels+chocolate. The perfect combo of sweet and salty. :)

What a great oatmeal combo! I would have never thought to add pretzels...cannot wait to try this out, yum! :)

08/09/2013 11:33

I hope your try it out and like it! You can never go wrong with chocolate. ;-)

I totally eat chocolate for breakfast and I can't wait to have this oatmeal in the lineup!

08/08/2016 04:27

Great information, you have a wonderful blog and an excellent article.

01/31/2017 22:34