Good morning!

First, I just wanted to thank everyone for all the encouraging comments on my last post.  It's wonderful to hear that so many others have found their passion for running too!

I know of lot of bloggers lately have been talking about how hot the weather has been lately.  Well, I'm going to chime and say... IT IS WAY TOO HOT!!  I have to run by 6:30 to avoid getting heat stroke, and even if I ride my horse at nine, we both come back sweating rain buckets.  (Okay, I honestly don't really sweat, so there's really only a few drops, but for me, that's really sweating.)

Now, onto WIAW shenanigans!
Since I ran my 4k on the Fourth, I started the day with an (un-pictured) banana and, of course, one of Brittany's energy bites.  (I'm way to obsessed.  Never mind, there's no such thing.)  Then, it was off to the races!  Post-running, I had some orange slices that were provided.  By the time I got back home, I was starving and ready for some....

Breakfast

I still had my green tea and apple to start.  Although my green tea was probably more almond milk than tea... I didn't want anything hot after running!  Actually, that's a lie.  For some crazy reason, I was craving oatmeal!  I wasn't too sure about that seeing as it was probably about 90 degrees outside, but I eventually caved.
Steel-cut oats with Kind blueberry clusters granola, Fage 2% Greek yogurt, and Naturally More flax peanut butter.
This tasted awesome, but about half way through, I thought I was going to melt.  Oh the things I'll go through for oatmeal.

Lunch

Since I ended up having a pretty late breakfast, I decided to go with a snack in the afternoon as I knew we were getting some grilling on that evening.  I had heard from my chemistry teacher that peanut butter + celery was a good combo, but I had never tried it myself.  I did a bit of experimenting with celery + peanut flour paste.  The verdict?  Sooo tasty!  I also baked up some banana bread that afternoon, so of course, I had to try some. ;-)
I followed it with a recent addiction of mine:
Omg, these things are amazing!

Dinner

While my mom and I were preparing food for the grill, we snacked on one of our favorite foods: CHEESE!! My mom and I have quite a bit in common with one of our most important commonalities being our love for cheese.
These were both fantastic!  If you've never had the naked goat cheese, definitely try it.  SO GOOD!  Drunken goat cheese is also awesome... my mom and I joke that we love naked, drunken goats. ;-)

Next came the grilled portion of dinner!  Here's what my dad grilled for me:
Corn, broccoli, and a homemade Italian "sausage" from the Vegan Brunch cookbook.
He always does an amazing job grilling, and this time was no exception.  I had the "hotdog" on Rudi's double fiber bread with honey mustard and dill relish.  And of course, there was extra honey mustard on the side for broccoli dippin'.
Of course, we just had to have watermelon because what would a BBQ be without it?!
While it was cold and very juicy, it unfortunately lacked any flavor.  Such a disappointment!
My camera decided to focus on my pup instead of the popsicle... I don't blame it. The latter was definitely cuter (though I thought the popsicle was pretty cute too!).
Dessert was a raspberry Greek yogurt popsicle.  It was quite good, though also very rich.  So rich in fact, that I followed it with some palate cleansing carrots and bell pepper.
I did enjoy the popsicle though.  Proof:
I only walked one of my dogs that night... my border collie is scared to death of fireworks, and she put her breaks on big time when I tried to take her!  Poor thing, I felt so bad for her. :(

And that concludes this WIAW!  To be continued next week... same place, same time.  Come on, didn't anyone else watch Lost in Space?

What did you eat on the Fourth?
Any other die-hard cheese lovers out there???

Comments

I see a definite theme here (peanut butter!) and I am loving it! :)

07/10/2013 17:40

I didn't even realize all the peanut butter until you mentioned it! I guess I have a sub-concious love for peanut butter ;-)

07/10/2013 08:45

Hi, my name is Katherine and I am DROOLING over your food. Your breakfast is flawless looking. And that lunch/snack? I've never tried peanut flour and celery but it looks incredible! Ah you make me so hungry!

07/10/2013 17:41

Well hello, Katherine. ;-) Haha. Definitely try the celery + peanut flour combo! So good!

07/10/2013 08:58

I had sooo much yummy food on the 4th.. looks like you did too! One of my fav parts of summer = grilling. It makes the food taste so much better ! :)

07/10/2013 17:43

Agreed! No matter how good a food is, it's almost guaranteed to be better after some time on the grill. Except for maybe ice cream. ;-)

07/10/2013 10:25

Ooooh...love your breakfast! That's totally something I would eat! I also need to check those PB ginger chews out. Yum!

07/10/2013 17:43

The ginger chews are awesome! I'm kind of addicted...

07/10/2013 10:31

Mmm, grilled food and your oatmeal brekkie looks sooo good. Oh, and cheese is like, the best thing ever. Always.

07/10/2013 17:44

Totally agree with you about the cheese!

07/10/2013 10:33

You are so cute, haha love the classic shot at the end! My phone loves to focus on eVERythinggGG but the item I am wanting in focus hahaha. It sometimes takes me like 5 minutes to take one picture. What a perfect 4th full of GREAT food!!

I was such a cheese-o-holic I went vegan! HAHAAH! Ok there were other reasons, but I had to do something drastic because I was turning into a cheese wedge!! One day though, when I visit Italy or something like that I will eat cheese all day long!

07/10/2013 17:47

Haha totally agree with you on the travel thing! I seriously think I went through about a pound of feta a day when I was in Greece...

Glad you enjoyed the PB/celery snack! I'm not a big fan of celery, but I loooove PB with carrot sticks.

My parents' dog gets so scared of the fireworks, too :(

07/10/2013 17:48

I neeeed to try the pb + carrots combo! Peanut butter just seems to go well with everything!

07/10/2013 11:20

I whole-heartedly agree! It needs to COOL THE HECK DOWN :) It basically makes it impossible to do anything outside remotely productive so most of the time I am just cooped up in my apartment with the A/C blasting...

Your lunch looks perfect. I used to love celery and/or carrots with peanut butter. Peanut butter paste allows you to have even more! Plus that big chunk of banana bread looks like your baking turned out great.

I'm not sure how people can eat just plain cheese. My mom, grandma and aunts all have this great love of it so I know that it's normal. However, just the thought of eating it cold and plain... Hmm. Just not for me. Haha.

Sadly I was more of a Star Trek/Star Wars watcher growing up so I think I have only seen Lost in Space once or twice :(

07/10/2013 17:50

I think I could eat cheese in pretty much any form haha! Although that stage when it's not cold or hot, just kind of in between and almost starting to melt/dry out? Uck....

So many great eats! You're right- a BBQ wouldn't be anything without a good watermelon! Wishing you a wonderful week!

07/10/2013 17:51

Thank you, Brittany! I hope you have a great week too!

We had lots of meat over our 4th of July, which is always a shock to our systems since we are primarily vegetarians. :) I will have to try the peanut flour trick!

07/10/2013 17:52

I think that if I started eating meat again my system will definitely be shocked too. I don't plan on finding out any time soon though haha!

07/10/2013 13:49

Yum how amazing does everything look; I wish I had a bbq so I could grill more of my food!
Shame your watermelon wasn't very nice, I've just bought one today..hope its nice..fingers crossed!

07/10/2013 17:54

Oh yes, I hope yours is good it too! I bought a mini one a few days ago so I hope that one turns out better than my last one!

07/10/2013 17:23

Cheese fan right hurrr! I LOVE cheese especially the really smelly/strong ones...feta, chevre and parmesan are favorites :). Your dinner looks perfect!

07/10/2013 17:55

I love the really strong ones too! Even when I was little, I LOVED gruyere which surprised everyone since most kids don't like strong cheese. I guess it was a sign. ;-)

07/10/2013 19:58

Loving your oats bowl...all good things in that bowl! I love Fage plain greek over Chobani plain, and that Naturally More PB is one of the best.

My favorite cheese is brie, hands down. I also like goat cheese when it's infused with other flavors and spices.

07/12/2013 13:31

Ooooh I love herbed goat cheese too! Sometimes I like brie, and sometimes I don't... but when I find a good one, I love it smeared on crackers with a pepper and fruit jam!

Don't even get me started on my love for cheese. It was so bad at one point I was incorporating it into every meal then had an intervention and now limit myself. My fav would definitely be blue cheese but these ones look good!

07/12/2013 13:33

I used to not like blue cheese at all, but I've fairly recently developed a taste for it. As long as it's not too blue that is haha. ;-) I generally find gorgonzola to be wonderful!

07/11/2013 17:21

Oh, I LOVE cheese a little too much! Those goat cheeses look scrumptious, as does that popsicle! Have a great day! :)

07/12/2013 13:34

Thanks, Courtney! You have a great day too! :)

07/12/2013 16:31

Oh man there is so much hummus stuffed in that celery! Yum!

07/14/2013 10:44

It's actually peanut flour paste, but it does look a lot like hummus! And yep, I stuffed as much in there as I could hehe :)