When someone first mentioned to me about a month ago that I should do a 10k, I thought they were crazy.  Then when they mentioned I should do a half marathon, I really thought they had lost it.  Sure, I had recently fallen in love with running and could run farther than I ever thought I could have, but in my mind, something like a half marathon was only for especially gifted athletes, myself not included.  But then, she mentioned that she had done one because her sister-in-law had done one at seven months pregnant.  I guess I have some sort of natural born competition because as soon as she mentioned that, I began to think that if someone could do it at seven months pregnant, I could surely do it at 18.  So I began toying with the idea and looking at training programs and up-coming half marathons.

Then I decided to e-mail Brittany to seek advice when she mentioned that she had done a couple of half marathons.  Not only did she recommend a great training program (that others later also recommended and that I am loving so far), but she offered so much encouragement and support and really showed me that this was something I could do.  Before, I thought that perhaps it was just a fantasy, something that I wanted that I could never really accomplish, but she showed me it was real.

So shortly after a few e-mails with her and some research, I signed up for a half marathon.  Typing those words still gives me little shutters of joy.  I could not be more excited to conquer this.  And every time I run, I see more and more that come the end of September, I will be able to do this.  I will be able to finish.

Originally, I wasn't sure how I would handle the longer runs, but I'm happy to report that so far, I am loving them.  Today, I was scheduled to do a 5 mile run, but I felt so good that I ended up doing 6.29 miles (the 10k that I originally though I couldn't possibly do!).  It truly felt AMAZING!!  I even felt like I could have gone miles longer, and had it been the half marathon, I definitely felt like I could have finished.  My pace felt really good, and while I figured it must have pretty slow considering how far I felt like I could go, it was faster than I thought, and I was really happy with it!
I no longer have any doubt in my mind that this is something I can do.  In just two months, I will be a half marathoner.

Comments

07/28/2013 18:05

So happy for you that you have decided to bite the bullet and for the half marathon! Use your recent 5k as the example- you went with expectations to not stop running and what happened- you won your age group! Enjoy the experience and you will no doubt victor from it! :)

07/29/2013 14:11

That is a great piece advice, Arman! Thank you! Hopefully I can surpass my expectations once again at the half. :)

07/28/2013 18:25

Congratulations on signing up for your first half marathon, girl! That's so exciting and it's only going to get more thrilling as the weeks go on! The amazing thing about running i that no matter how long (both in terms of time and distance) you run, it's always brings a huge sense of achievement..and reminds you of the amount your body is truly capable of!

07/29/2013 14:12

That is definitely one of the main reasons I love running - the sense of accomplishment!

07/28/2013 19:37

Oh my gosh CONGRATS! I'm so excited for you :) I ran my first (and only, haha) last fall and I really liked it!

07/29/2013 14:17

That's great to hear! Doing even one is a huge accomplishment. :)

07/28/2013 20:45

Alex this is SO exciting! I'm so glad you decided to sign up. I really believe that signing up is the hardest part. You've got a plan, so I know you'll do amazing in your training. I'm starting to train for a half too, so please write plenty of posts on how you're doing! I'd love to hear about it! :)

07/29/2013 15:27

Signing up and convincing yourself you can do it is absolutely the hardest part. I will definitely try to keep you updated! You should do the same as I'd love to hear about your training too. :)

Congrats on signing up! I remember signing up for my first half marathon and loving the thrill. It is really a great experience!

07/29/2013 15:28

Yay, I'm glad to hear that! I most definitely can't wait. :)

07/28/2013 21:35

Congrats on signing up for a half marathon!!! That's definitely going to be a huge accomplishment & you're going to be so proud of yourself! I've never even run a race & hope to someday try a 5k, so what you're doing is VERY impressive to me! Good for you! :)

07/29/2013 15:31

Awe thanks, Karey! You can definitely do a 5k. When you think you're ready, sign up for one, and then with something to work toward, training is so much easier and more fun! :)

07/29/2013 11:16

You will love the half marathon distance. Difficult but not killer. Plus its so much fun to challenge yourself to new distances. Which one are you going?

07/29/2013 15:32

I'm going to do the Oregon half marathon! So excited. :)

07/29/2013 12:05

Yayyyy excited for ya! Congrats!

07/29/2013 15:33

Thanks, Jess! :)

07/29/2013 13:07

Wow congratulations! Can't wait to hear about it :) And running at 7 months pregnant? Good for her!

07/29/2013 15:33

I know right?! It's just incredible.

07/29/2013 13:53

You will definitely be able to do it if you can already run 6 miles no problem! Have you been running for a while now?

My first 1/2 is in November and I'm so nervous!

07/29/2013 15:48

I started running about 10 months ago (but usually didn't do more than 2.5 miles), then dropped off at the beginning of the summer, and started up again a month or two ago. I really fell in love with it over the past month and can't believe I'm already up to six miles!
That is so, so exciting that you're doing a half this year too! You're going to do great. :) I think you'll find training to be quite fun since you have such an awesome goal! No need to be nervous - come November, you will be more than ready! :)

07/29/2013 17:04

Yay! I'm so excited that you're taking the next leap in your running career with a HALF!! I've got to get a plan going myself as well...Nike Women's Half is in about 2 1/2 months!!!

07/30/2013 13:18

Oh that is coming up quickly, but you'll definitely be ready! That's so exciting that you're doing one soon too! :)

07/29/2013 17:33

That's awesome you signed up! You'll do great :)

07/30/2013 13:18

Thanks so much, Alex! :)

07/29/2013 19:05

that's so awesome! my sister just signed up for a half marathon too and she just started running as well....she's loving it!

i signed up for tough mudder in september and currently in training..super stoked about that!!

07/30/2013 13:19

Oh wow, that's going to be awesome! I've always thought those looked like fun (as long as a shower is near by afterwards haha ;-) ).

07/29/2013 21:03

So I'll admit that though I know you're a regular commenter on my blog, I never checked your blog out...until today's post, when I saw the title of your post through CommentLuv.

Definitely going to be checking out the rest of your blog, but before I do, I'd just like to say YAY and CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so excited to read about how your race goes, and even more excited that you've decided to run it at all. It's a huge step, as well as a huge accomplishment, and you're going to rock it! <3

07/30/2013 13:22

I'm glad you decided to check out my blog, and I hope you like it! :)
And thank you for the support and encouragement! I definitely appreciate it!

07/29/2013 21:21

Good for you - what a great decision! It's always so fun to have a goal like that to work toward. I can't wait to see how the training/prep goes!

07/30/2013 13:24

It really is fun to have a goal - it makes the training that much more fun! :) And I'll definitely try to keep you guys updated about how it goes!

07/30/2013 08:09

You will ROCK this half. When I first thought of doing one I was so nervous and scared I couldn't do it. But I slowly started building up my miles and by the time I was doing 11, I knew it was possible. I killed that race, and I think you will too! :)

07/30/2013 13:25

This is so relieving to read and makes me feel even more like I can do this! Thanks for sharing!

07/30/2013 09:42

Ahhh I miss the days of long runs. Lately my body doesn't seem to like running so only short sprints for me :( Sounds like you've got this in the bag! Keep up the awesome training. Can't wait to follow your progress :)

07/30/2013 13:27

I'm glad to hear that at least you're still doing some running even if it isn't the super long ones! I hope my body still likes the runs once they get into double digits... if not I will make it like them haha ;-)

07/30/2013 16:45

You can TOTALLY run a half! Congrats on signing up and starting training... you'll continue to love it :D

07/30/2013 19:45

Whoa Whoa! I love the new layout of your blog! It looks really sharp :)

07/31/2013 10:27

You are KILLING your runs!! I am in such awe of your progress!!! I am soooo freaking excited for you. You are going to love this race so much I guarantee you will sign up for another one! AND LOOK AT THAT PACE!! PPpshhh and you thought you would be running 12-13 min miles..HA!! Keep it up!! Also, your new blog look is awesome!