Howdy ya'll! I hope everyone's week was fabulous and that everyone has some great plans for the weekend!  My week was busy as usual, but better than last week.  I think this weekend will be busier than the week!  Think college applications, essay due Monday, Spanish quiz Monday... yeah, I'm sure a lot of you know exactly what I'm talking about.  But I'm going to make sure to squeeze some fun in there.  As much as I, um, love writing essays and, um, studying for quizzes, it's not exactly my idea of fun. ;)

Okay, so today's post will be full of foodie pictures!!  Beginning with the Spanish food.  If you're new to my blog, you may not remember that I had a culture project to do for Spanish class, and I chose to cook a Spanish meal! :D

For the appetizer: Bread with Mushrooms and Aioli
Here I am cutting the 'shrooms. With a lot of concentration, I might add. ;)
This is the aioli I used:
I could have made it by hand, but I mean, this one was actually from Spain and it wouldn't have been if I had made it.  (Laziness radar going off about now ;)

Pre-baked:
Post-baked:
Taste-test time!!!!
Wow!  I want to host a party now just so I can serve those (and eat them! :P ).  You wouldn't expect much from a piece of bread topped with garlic mayo and sauteed mushrooms, but I guess this just proves that you should expect a lot from such a dish!

For the main course: Vegetarian Paella
The paella cooking away! (I apologize for the awful picture!)
The paella decorated with artichokes and lemon.
My parents ready to dig in! (Please excuse the messy kitchen in the background... I take after my dad in that we both manage to dirty nearly every dish during the course of cooking. Not so good for someone who doesn't like doing dishes.)
Me ready to dig in!
We all loved this!  Another fabulous dish for sure!

For dessert: Cinnamon Ice Cream
Me stirring the milk + cinnamon + lemon rind.
The final product:
And, of course, the taste test:
Lol!!!!  Crazy hair, crazy eyes.... but super happy taste buds!!

The Spanish food making experience was a success!  Everything was loved by all. :D

Okay, so now for the random eats!

Ashley's Vanilla "Funfetti" Oat Bake topped with her Cake Batter Cashew Butter:
This. Was. In. Cre. Di. Ble.  Make it.  Devour it.  Love it.

OIAJ, but not just any old jar... a Cake Batter Cashew Butter jar!!  Tears may or may not have been present when I scooped up the last bit of amazing-ness from the jar. ;) (Topped with loads of wheat germ of course!)
One dinner was at the Mt. Everest Cafe, a Nepalese buffet.  It's one of my favorite places to eat!  (My absolute favorite is Taj Mahal, an Indian buffet downtown.)
Naan bread, vegetable samosa, steamed broccoli, vegetable curry, eggplant curry, spinach saag, and fresh fruit.
Dessert: rice pudding, carrot haclava (or something like that), and banana pakara (again, not exactly sure if that's right).
As I'm sure many of you know, it was Katie's birthday this past Tuesday, and so I celebrated with her Brownie Batter Pancakes topped with her Coconut Banana Butter and, of course, sprinkles!!!  And then, to make it a true Katie meal, I ditched the fork and snatched the chop sticks!
An incredible meal to honor an incredible person!  Seriously, my taste buds would have such a dull life without her. ;)  And aside from her crazy amazing cooking skills, she really is a wonderful, sweet person!  Happy [belated] Birthday, Katie!! :D

Last, but definitely not least, I made my own nut butter again!  This time it was Kathleen's Vanilla Spice Almond Butter!  Of course, the important thing is how it tasted.  Pre-taste test:
Down the hatch:
Post taste-test:
From excited to in love!  Really in love!! :P  If you want an amazing, nicely spiced, addicting nut butter, make Kathleen's almond butter!!

Okay, if you've made it this far, congratulations!  Oh but wait, you're not done... first some questions. :)

Questions:
Any Spanish food making experiences?  Please tell!
What's your favorite restaurant/buffet?  Do you like Indian-type food?
Nut butter: homemade or store boughten?  I really love both!  It's fun to make your own because you can make it whatever flavor you want, but I love my certain brands of store boughten too!

Have a great weekend, and remember to have some fun! :D

Comments

09/10/2011 08:36

all your eats look so delicious - love your blog!

09/10/2011 09:52

That oat bake with the cashew butter looks so flipping delicious!!!! In fact all of these eats look incredible...I'm coming over right now to steal them and make you my chef heehee :)
By the way, you look so gorgeous in these pictures, like really stunning! Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend! :D

I'm just warning you, I'm stealing that vegetarian paella recipe. I'm a HUGE paella lover but done want to ever deal with the mussels, so this is perfecto :D

09/10/2011 10:22

Ciao, first time here, I am a vegetarian so this looks all wonderful to me :-). Brava, well done!

Have a good Sunday

Alessandra

09/10/2011 12:18

Mmm paella is the best, and I am loving your version! Mussels make me nervous to cook with lol so I want to try your recipe

09/10/2011 12:34

Yum, everything looks so good!!
You seem to be a talented cook :)

Hm, I don't think I've ever had a Spanish food; maybe I had, but I don't know, lol. Besides coconut butter, I just like to buy nut butters. I don't want to break my 5 year old magic bullet!

09/10/2011 13:39

As soon as I saw the title, I hoped it would be paella! Love it and that's not a rubbish picture of it at all, it looks delicious and so colouful :-) All the food in this post looks amazing though and lovely pictures of you!
I love Nepalese food too; haven't had it for far too long...

09/10/2011 15:38

Oh yum! The veggie paella looks ah-may-zing!

09/10/2011 20:28

Oh gosh- so many things and yumminesès to comment on this post! Where to start!?! ;)
Your parents are super cute :) And so lucky to have you making this amazing meal for them! It looks great! Spanish food is really good, but I dont really think Ive had any since I actually was in Spain a few years back!
I love that you celebrated Katies birthday with her recipe :D Those pancakes looks fantastic!
And Kathleens nutbutter<3 She comes up with so many yum-sounding ones!

Enjoy your weekend sweet pea<3 Sounds like its going to be a busy one! Make sure to rest and have fun too :)

09/11/2011 04:17

So funny- I had to cook a meal for my high school Spanish class too. I wonder if that's a common thing? I made a Spanish tortilla if I remember correctly. You went all out though! Paella, bread with aioli AND ice cream? What a yummy meal!

How sweet that you celebrated Katie's birthday with her recipes. Did you really eat the pancakes with chopsticks? That's impressive!

Alexandra
09/11/2011 04:32

Rachel,

Yep, I ate the pancakes with chopsticks. I admit that it got hard at times and I'm not sure if I was holding the chopsticks "properly," but it's the thought that counts, right? ;)

chocolate-katie
09/11/2011 04:37

SO much amazingness to comment on... I don't know what to write first! Also, I'm blinded by the shiny sprinkles and have lost my train of thought ;).

P.S. Your hair is so pretty!!

Love,
your cactus-killing twin

omg please come cook for me! everything you made looks incredible : ) especially the funfetti oat bake top. gahhh i want it now!

09/11/2011 04:49

All that food looks so good, especially the paella! I've never had vegetarian paella but after seeing yours I want to try it!

09/11/2011 07:11

I LOVE SPANISH FOOD!! Gazpacho. Paella. Tortilla Espanola... oh I could just eat it all the time. It's amazing! I also love homemade nut butter, but some store bought ones are great. I like to make fun flavors at home.. I can get so creative!

09/11/2011 08:58

Why do you always tempt me with such delicious food! Everything you made looked amazing! Especially the paella! It had wonderful colors and you presented it so prettily :)

I am also jealous of your homemade nut butter! I have tried to make some of my own at home and ended up breaking our food processor :( I blame the peanuts. They must have been extra hard! ;) And I LOVE Indian food! It has to be my third favorite type of food. #1 is dessert. #2 is Thai food. #3 is Indian food!

all your eats look soooooooooo good!!! I've never had paella but yours looks phenomenal..and all that nut butter...mmmm. makes me happy :P

Pa
09/11/2011 14:16

I resent the dirty pan remark. I plan my meals to dirty EVERY pan, dish, bowl, utensil in the house! That was a very good meal. Thanks Baby.

I love anything with mushrooms! Your overflowing OIAJ look fabulous!! :)

09/12/2011 03:47

I'm having indian buffet for lunch today!

Yum, I love mushrooms!! And aioli.. And bread haha

09/12/2011 16:33

You can have a party and make those...and I will attend

They might be random, but they look goooood! The bread with mushrooms looks so simple yet so delicious. The hubby doesn't like 'shrooms, but I'll make them for myself!