Hellooooooooo!!!!!  I've missed you all so much!  But I'm having the most amazing time!!!  Although I'm currently in Denmark and not in Greece.  I wanted to blog from Greece, but we hardly ever had internet and the one time we did, I created a post and then something happened and it deleted the whole thing!  But luckily I'm learning and am going to save this post very often.

So onto the first Greece recap!  After a looooong flight and a loooooong layover in Germany, we arrived safe and sound.  Even though it was 1:30 in the morning, almost all the restaurants looked full and there were crowds of people in the streets!  Athens is definitely a night town, and in the end, I think that all of the towns in Greece are nights towns.  Nothing seems to happen until after 8:00!  Definitely not what I'm used to, but that's what makes it interesting.  Something else that's interesting?  The way they drive in Greece!  People either go twice the speed limit or half the speed limit, most people drive in the shoulder, and motorcycles seem to have the way of the road.  I'm sure glad I wasn't driving!

The next morning (or I guess just later the morning we arrived...) we slept in a while an then we were off to the Acropolis!  I'll let the pictures do [most] the talking.
One of my favorite pictures of all the ones I took!
Athens was huge! It was this times at least 10!
Next, it was time for some food!  I definitely LOVED the Greek cuisine.  Although I have to say that I was a bit disappointed that there was no hummus of falafel, two things I was very looking forward to trying. :( :(  Maybe they're Turkish?  But anyway, here was my first meal in Greece:
Tomato and eggplant stuffed with a tomato and brown rice mixture, cooked greens (I think swiss chard), and half a lemon that I squeezed over everything. It was truly AMAZING!!
After lunch, we went to the Acropolis museum and then walked around Athens for a while.  It has some pretty cute little side streets!
Then we headed back to the hotel and rested up some more from our flight.  When dinner rolled around, we set back out in search of a cafe.  We eventually came across this cute little place:
The waitress spoke almost no English and the menu was in Greek which made ordering difficult but fun at the same time!  It was an adventure not really knowing what you ordered.  This was before I realized Greece doesn't have much hummus, and so hummus was what I was trying to order.  I found the word for chickpea in our Greek phrasebook, and so I ordered the one chickpea item on the menu hoping it might be hummus...  It wasn't really hummus, but it was a chickpea spread, and I absolutely loved it!  I'm hoping to recreate it at home.
Along wiiiiiith....
Greek salad and garlic bread.
What a fantastic little cafe!

Well, that's all for now.  More to come! (Although it may not be for a bit.)

I hope everyone is doing very well!! <3

Comments

07/02/2011 08:37

I've always loved Greek Mythology, and I'm so envious you got to actually visit the place! It must have been fabulous for you...(just too bad that a lot of places are torn down now, don't you think?)

I guess hummus & falafel is more of Middle Eastern cuisine - not Mediterranean. But great you enjoyed the foods!!

Travis
07/02/2011 09:04

Great pictures, the food looks great! Did you run into any of the protests going on while you were there? I was thinking about you guys with Greece being in the news a lot the last few weeks.

07/02/2011 11:57

AHH I've always wanted to go to Greece! I think the history is amazing and the food looks delicious. Did you get to try real greek yogurt?! I'm glad you're having fun and I'm so jealous of your travels! I can't wait to hear more!

07/02/2011 12:07

ahhh your trip sounds AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING!!! (and so cool that you're in denmark right now!!) I absolutely LOVE greek food and the things you got look better then any I've ever had! (duh!) weird that they didn't have hummus or falafel though, I totally cosider those to be greek foods! and ohhhhh my gah your "hummus" spread dip meal looks so darn good I could just eat it up! I'm so glad you got to enjoy such yummy delicacies on your trip! enjoy the rest of vaccay girlie!!

07/03/2011 02:47

Oh my gosh your pics look amazing! So. Jealous. I'm surprised there wasn't any hummus or falafel though. Maybe it's more middle eastern? Oh well, your meal looks incredible anyway. :) Can't wait to hear about Denmark!

WOW, greece looks amazing. I hope you are enjoying your trip!

07/05/2011 05:22

ah its so good to hear from you! i loved all of your beatiful pictures! ahh no hummus in Greece!?!? who would have thought! can't wait to see more!

07/05/2011 07:07

Awesome! Keep enjoying!

Oh my gosh. Greece?! What an amazing place! I remember studing about the Greeks, but you actually get to BE there! I can't wait to here more about your adventures there. :)

07/09/2011 11:30

AAHH YOU'RE BACK! :) Looks like you had an amazing time girly!!
And ooh yes, hummus and falafel are Turkish! I didn't realise you were expecting those otherwise I would have let you know :) Did you try any real greek yogurt though?

Aunt Myrna
07/10/2011 04:53

Loved reading about your trip and looking at the pictures. You are having an awesome summer - glad for you!

11/21/2015 23:23

Athens and greece are very old and premitive places for the democracy and all political activities. The democracy has taken the birth from the grece and athens in particular.

tonyfjohn
11/16/2016 21:56

Amazing pictures of food. I like the cultures of greek and athens. I love greek very much.
Hai genius gives the platform for hidden talents. Hai genius brings the genius, innovative thoughts to the world.

11/16/2016 22:57

Greece is a country with good heritage and culture. In the history of the World it gives Genius Thoughts to the world.Greece ,Country with Culture.NICE pics posted by you and a nice article.I think you enjoyed your trip a lot.Greece gave many things to the world.Any way you visited a country with great Heritage

jacktony
11/17/2016 21:21

nice website. i love this amazing photos.
follow the getges website to get genius thoughts and ideas.

Very beautiful and historical places.Amazing photos.I loved this site.Thanks for sharing information about Greece and its heritage and never the less the food. Love you greece.